Typical of the simple houses of worship built by strong and devout early settlers, Old Tennent is used today by one of the oldest organized religious groups of our State. It has had continuous existence for more than ten generations. The congregation was formed in 1692 by a group of Scottish Dissenters who had fled their homeland to escape James II's severe persecution for their beliefs. It has occupied its existing building since 1751, and the structure has undergone little fundamental change.
This lovely church once served as a hospital during a celebrated engagement in the War for Independence -- the Battle of Monmouth -- which raged around it on June 28, 1778. In that encounter the Colonial troops, under Washington's personal command, forced a withdrawal of the enemy which virtually ended Britain's military effectiveness in the northern part of the country. See also: More Historical Information and Stories of Old Tennent Church.
AUDIO AND VIDEO: Web Site for the Old Tennent Presbyterian Church - Founded 1692
VIRTUAL TOUR OF OLD TENNENT CHURCH BEST WITH BROADBAND SERVICE
Church Leadership Over the Years Includes:
Elder Walter Ker
Rev. John Boyd 1706-1708
Rev. Joseph Morgan 1709-1729
Rev. John Tennent 1730-1732
Rev. William Tennent, Jr. 1733-1777
Rev. John Woodhull, D.D. 1779-1824
Such notables as George Whitefield, Jacobus Frelinghusen, Gilbert Tennent and Jonathan Edwards have preached from this hill (White Oak Hill). David Brainerd administered the Sacrament to his Indian converts here.